Sunday 22 April 2012

Naaz Khatoon (Iranian Eggplant with Pomegranate Molasses)


This month is Iranian Food Month on Gormandize with A-dizzle and K-bobo and even though the month is nearing an end, I still have a few wonderful recipes to share before the time is up! This is one of them - delicious, easy and very easy to eat your way through a whole pot of it!

Eggplant forms a key part of Middle Eastern cuisine, from Baba Ghanoush to Khoresh Bademjan. In this Naaz Khatoon it is roasted, peeled and then cooked with tomatoes, verjuice and pomegranate molasses - all classic Iranian ingredients. I had to make a special excursion to buy myself the pomegranate molasses, as I've never used it before! Luckily, a lovely friend of mine is Lebanese and took me shopping with her to areas which I haven't been to that are a haven for buying Middle Eastern groceries! I had such a fun time and only my budget stopped me from buying a bit of everything that looked delicious :)

On another note - I've been nominated for the Best Australian Blogs 2012 People's Choice Award - you can vote for me by hitting up this link: http://www.sydneywriterscentre.com.au/bloggingcomp/peopleschoice.html

Naaz Khatoon
Adapted from the Iran Chamber Society website.


Ingredients
4 medium eggplants
4 large tomatoes
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried mint
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup verjuice

To Make
1. Wash eggplant and dry thoroughly. Bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
2. Peel the skins off (they should come away easily now) and dice the eggplant flesh (should be nice and juice after the baking so try and keep all the juices in by peeling them over the saucepan you're going to use).
3. Finely dice the onions and tomato.
4. Put all the ingredients except the verjuice in a large saucepan and put over a low heat. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir the verjuice through. Serve immediately.

You can eat as it is or serve with rice, pasta or bread.

Serves 4.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful combination that I've only had once before in a spa hotel in Italy, so I know I like it. However, I've never tried this Iranian variant before and I'm quite curious about it.

    ReplyDelete